Thursday, March 17, 2011

My Turn

Once a year I try to accompany Brian on one of his numerous trips. The location of our get-away is completely dependent on the conference locale. Traveling "alone" is much easier now that the kids are older and Grandma lives close by. Plus, grown up siblings are easily cajoled into helping (if we make it worth their while.)

We were planning on traveling to Japan last August, but the wedding of the summer sent Brian there alone. We opted for a weekend trip to Eager, Arizona instead. Previously we have enjoyed Boston and New Orleans together, and this year did not disappoint as we traveled to Berkeley and San Francisco.
This shows only about 1/3 of the Expo.
San Francisco was the site of this year's National Science Teacher's Association Conference and Expo at the Moscone Center. Brian's Virtual Labs (licensed to Pearson by BYU) take him to this annual event. He gives formal presentations as well as mingles with teachers in the Pearson booth. The Expo is HUGE. Science teachers abound and even Bill Nye the Science Guy makes an appearance. This year I spied him in the lobby of our our hotel. My kids would have been thrilled if I had run up and had my picture taken with him, but Brian would have been mortified. As for me, I just tried to capture his image with my cell phone, but alas, he was too far away. Maybe next year.
There's Brian behind the guy in the camel jacket. See him in the red tie?
While Brian worked I wandered around the city and explored the environs of our hotel (the Marriott Marquis). The art near Yerba Buena Gardens was fun to discover.
How appropriate TODAY that St. Patrick's Catholic Church was just around the corner.
Next up:  CHINATOWN!

If you're looking to add a little green to your day, you'll find some at Salads and Such.

10 comments:

Dean and Sheri said...

How wonderful for you and Brian to enjoy this get away together. Your last post about it was divine...what a wonderful place to stay. I spent my teen years growing up not far from San Fran. I loved China town and going to the theatre. Dean and I honeymooned there at a lovely Bed and Breakfast called "The Mansion" at 2220 Sacramento Street. Our children enjoy visiting when we get out there to see Grandpa and Grandma and other family. I'm so happy you've had such a fun time and I'm REALLY looking forward to your China Town post. Now I'm thinking we ought to get out there for a visit real soon. Thanks so much for sharing...you take fantastic photos!

Valerie said...

How fun! Nice sneaky shot of him at work. :) I went to San Francisco for the first time (and possibly only) a couple of years ago. I was surprised how chilly it was in the summer. I didn't realize it is kinda like that all year.

Ginger said...

I loved looking back on your posts of the wedding and your trip here. I recognize that scenery well! :) I'm glad you could come at our most beautiful time of the year.

I think that is so neat that you can travel with your husband once a year and see new places. I don't get to travel very much so it sounds heavenly. I'm hoping as my kids get older we will get to travel more. Even though they are old enough to stay by themselves I still don't like to go too far or more than a night or two.

You take such beautiful photos. I can't wait to see Chinatown. I've always wanted to go there. :)

Marianne said...

I love to travel with Dennis, and thanks to good friends who will take the children for a few days (!!), I've been able to go so many wonderful places! You wouldn't think it, but it's harder now that the kids are a little older, so I don't go as often. Maybe in a few years...

Kendra said...

How fun that you get to travel with your husband! The expo looks awesome! :)

Happy St. Patricks day!

Joy For Your Journey said...

How fun for you to get away and spend time with your husband--as well as see the sights from where you used to live! It looks like you are having a great time. I love your pictures. And how nice to know your kids are well cared for in your absence.

Jennilyn said...

Thanks for the art shots! Great tradition of getting away together as a couple!

Cherie said...

This is where I grew up and there are so many things to see and do - and good food to eat!!
How fun that you got to go with your husband and enjoy a little getaway - definately a perk of getting older and having older kids :-D

Mom to Many said...

We all know who to call for wedding advice. :o)

Lacy said...

This looks like so much fun! I'm glad you got to go with your hubby :)